Friday 14 March 2008

12 Week Scan II: The Return of the Sonographer

Monday saw a significant event: The purchase of 1 x pair of size 8 maternity jeans (feels slightly like an oxymoron to me...) from New Look's impressive range of maternity wear and 1 x maternity bra (who needs under wire when you can have a tee-shirt bra eh?) that made me realise how my breasts had been stuffed unattractively into a confined space for a little too long and had actually made me suffer severe discomfort. I felt truly pregnant.

Tuesday and I had yet another significant event: My second twelve week scan.

This time my oldest friend accompanied me. We have known each other all our lives, quite literally, having been christened together (the sharing of font water, while not something I can of course recall is something of a bond).

So, jelly smeared over my enlarged stomach, baby appeared again. This time: bigger, better, with more exciting features! We saw hands and feet and it bounced up and down, using my womb as a trampoline. Then it began to drink, opening and closing its lips repeatedly (I can't imagine amniotic fluid is all that tasty, but I guess baby doesn't know any different) and the sonographer explained romantically how it would then pee. Into my womb. Nice. This time she conducted fuller tests on the thickness of its neck fluid and took a good look at its enormous brain. This one definitely takes after J.

So now I wait for the blood test results (I nearly fainted, however my friend came to my aid with fizzy pop which managed to restore some sort of normality in my frazzled veins). For the baby and me. I am terrified. Not that I think I do have syphilis but the list that it checked me for really was quite disturbing and, as I am a born worrier, I am obviously riddled with notions that something with ill intentions may be lurking in my veins.

With my bump ever expanding, I proceeded through the rest of the week. Last night, however, I had a bit of a shock. Preparing for bed at J's aunt's house, I noticed how truly enormous I was. It isn't a pretty little belly. My belly starts to extend outwards at a dramatic exponential rate just after my breasts conclude. I am enormous. And I'm only 13.5 weeks. That isn't all baby - that's belly. I'm not even supposed to be showing yet according to the biblical reference books that I would love to discard but am addicted to like a sinner hovering continually in a confessional booth waiting for a sign to say that I'm really doing okay and I really am normal.

Blood test results awaiting. I'm wondering if the answer machine at home is flashing with messages I don't want to get.

3 comments:

dollyrocket said...

Admit it, you're just getting extra scans cos you like people smearing jelly on your belly. Oh and by the way, when your teeny weeny size 8 waist is bigger than my (non-baby-containing) one, THEN you can start complaining about how big you are! Love you and your beanbaby :) x

Jocelyn said...

Oh, yes, you do have to worry. That's part of it all!

But don't get caught up in that "I have to be a cute pregnant woman" trap. It gets exhausting to be constantly fighting what the body needs to be doing (expanding!). Just be powerful; don't worry about cute. If you can't wow people, you can scare them...

ArtofdanceJo said...

I saw my mate Viki last night, she's 12 weeks pregnant with her 3rd and looks about 6 months so you've got nothing to worry about.

Jo
xxxx