Thursday 3 April 2008

Mourning the loss of the tea-making process

I miss tea.

I thought it'd be alcohol I missed, out of everything.

My liquid consumption consists of: orange or apple juice, orange squash, hot or cold water and the occasional fizzy pop.

The idea of drinking a cup of tea or coffee makes me feel rather uncomfortable. Queasy, unsettled. It isn't even so much that I'm disinterested, if I was then I'd still 'endure' the drink. But I just really, really don't want one.

But it isn't so much the lack of tea that affects me so.

It is the actual process of making a cup of tea.

I used to adore that kitchen time. Making a cup of tea for me represented a fresh approach - I could sit down at my computer again and start over. I would get up, defiantly, make a cup of tea, and sit down again, that tiny interlude of normality, of a treat, still not losing its novelty of being able to drink cups of tea at my desk after 10 years since I left school. I relished that moment.

Now any person who comes to the house is bombarded with numerous hot beverages, just to allow myself a glimmer of my previous normality. My glass of squash lies eclipsed on the side behind a line of proud, self assured tea mugs. Someone is going to love that tea.

It just won't be me.

People have adorned me with numerous fruit and herb alternatives, but even then don't rest well on my tormented inners. So right now I have a hot water. At least I have the kettle boiling process to relish, briefly, in that.

Even if the aftermath is so unbelievably rubbish.

4 comments:

MrsG said...

You know The Dude and I will help you out with all that tea...He would hate to see it go to waste!

thewebstress said...

I've still never out-tea'd The Dude. Gave it a damn good go last summer though.

Daphne said...

It was only after I stopped feeling sick when I was pregnant that I realised HOW sick I had been feeling! It's great when it stops, honest.

thewebstress said...

Daphne I can't wait til it stops completely - I am planning to go out for a very large 3 course meal!! I'm a bit too excited about the prospect!